Sunday, March 25, 2007

Assorted Sunday Sallies

"In religion there are no national boundaries. A religion can and should be used by any people or person who finds it beneficial." Dalai Lama

I am taking a break from backing up my old computer in preparation of hooking up the new one. I had underestimated the amount of time it would take to back the old one up especially the art work. I am using the drag and drop method of backing up which mean of course I need to format the discs as I go along.

I took a moment this afternoon to take a walk. Since we have thunderstorms coming up all week I figured it would be my last chance for a while. I took my digital camera with me and it looks like I got some nice shots. The daffodils and crocus are coming up and the trees are starting to bloom.

I also took time this morning to take my mother to church. Daddy always use to go to church with her and she hates to go alone as it is such a poignant reminder that he is gone.

Today's gospel has the famous words of Christ "Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone." During the sermon our Irish priest read a poem about "If I had known I would never see you again."

For me the gospel brings home one of the things I dislike the most about prejudice especially prejudice done in the name of religion. I find it highly hypocritical for someone who is a member of one of the most prejudiced religions around, the Church of England, to preach to me about Christ when I am showing Christian charity towards someone who happens to hold New Age beliefs. Being Roman Catholic I have faced prejudice against my religion all my life. I refuse to allow anyone who shows prejudice to sway my opinions. How can you judge someone else when you are seeing them with the mote in your own eye? Once you cleanse yourself of prejudice and hate then you can talk to me but don't preach unless you are without sin yourself. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

The poem the priest read really hit home. As much as I miss my Dad I have the comfort in knowing I had talked to him the day before he died and on the day of his death he had an email from me. Dad died knowing I loved him. I make sure everyday that I hug my Mom and let her know that I love her. With her bad heart I could lose her at any time and I want to make sure she knows I love her. I don't want any regrets after she passes away.

With the coming of Spring and the advent of the Easter season this is the perfect time for us to take stock of our own lives. We too can renew ourselves and rid ourselves of prejudice and hatred. After all if this were our last day on earth do we really want to face the one God of all and explain why we hated others because they believe differently then we did? S/he isn't going to buy our excuses.

The real counter is 4736

No comments: