Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Hippity Boppity

"To have inward solitude and space is very important because it implies freedom to be, to go, to function, to fly." Krishnamurti

Today is my birthday. I share this day with one of my favorite actors, Michael York. For me he will always be D'Artagnan. The Richard Lester films The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers are among my favorite films. The sword fight scene between Michael York and Christopher Lee at the end of The Four Musketeers is among the greatest ever filmed as far as I am concerned.

Today is my late day at work and I was planning on sleeping in except two cats had other ideas. From six o'clock on they took turns coming in to see me, Merlin because his bowl was almost empty and Pixie because she wanted a piece of turkey. Sigh! Kids!

I finally have this machine backed up and now all I need to do is get my brother to bring the new one upstairs so I can hook it up. I'm looking forward to using the faster machine that was made to do art on. I'll turn this one into a machine for my Mom since hers is awfully slow and can't hold all the graphics on her favorite card making program. I'll leave the art programs on this machine in case I have two pictures I want to work on at the same time.

I think I have learned a lot in my 29 plus years on Earth. I learned from my Dad to pick an age you like and stay there so we do the anniversary of my 29th birthday each year. ;-) I also learned humor from my Dad who had a definitely off beat sense of humor. He would watch Monty Python with me and roar with laughter. I learned the love of knowledge from Dad, the love of reading. Dad and I would exchange books. We kept each other up to date on the Tony Hillerman Navaho mysteries. I introduced him to Robert Van Gulik's Judge Dee mysteries set in ancient China. We both loved stories of the supernatural and traded books on the Bermuda Triangle and ghosts.

From my mother I learned the importance of family. The number one priority in her life has always been her family. She has always been there for us both emotionally and financially if we needed help. That is why when she asked me to move in with her that I didn't hesitate because she needs me now and after all of the help she has given me over the years I am happy to be able to help her now.

I have been able to indulge my love of science fiction and fantasy in working conventions and even running my own convention. I have met many great people in the business and will always have fond memories of those times and the people I met and worked with. I have experienced some great films. I never thought I would see my favorite book The Lord of the Rings turned into a good movie but Peter Jackson surpassed all expectations and made a brilliant series of movies. I watch them over and over again.

I have learned that the jobs that make me happiest are the ones where I can help people. I made sure that my conventions were geared towards raising money for charity. I find that the greatest satisfaction for myself is the feeling that I get after I have been able to help others. That is the real meaning of life that when you help others you help yourself.

I have found joy in creating whether it is with words, or paints, or computer graphics programs, a sewing machine, or artificial flowers and florist tape. I love creating. It was such a proud moment for me to see my niece coming down the aisle in the Princess Bride dress and veil I made for her while carrying the bouquet that I also made. I will be wearing my Irish green skirt I made today. I will continue with the art that my mentor Dann Lopez has always encouraged me to do. I will find an agent for my book that is dedicated to my Dad who always encouraged me to write.

So on this birthday life is good. There is a chance of thunderstorms this afternoon but at least they aren't predicting tornados. A tornado hit the other side of town the day I was born and my brothers have never let me forget it or the fact that the Alaska earthquake also hit on this date. Not my fault guys. I got my best gift a couple of minutes ago with a big hug from my Mom and a happy birthday wish. I am loved and that is the greatest gift of all.

The picture is called Fly Away and fits in nicely with today's quote.

The real counter is 4750

No comments: