Thursday, March 1, 2007

Books

"Be kind whenever possible ... It is always possible." Dalai Lama

Today is World Book Day. For someone like me who loves to read this is a great day to celebrate. I look around the room and I am surrounded by books, some my late father's and some mine.

This shelf will take me around the world with food. I love cookbooks and will often spend an evening reading them or cooking magazines. These books will take you into the realms of taste and smell as you try new recipes. It will teach you how people eat in other parts of the world. You can explore the wonderful world of spices.

Over here is your ticket to outer space. Both my Dad and I are space buffs. We have everything here from the solar system to black holes. This is your ticket to Mars and beyond as we explore that mysterious and wonderful entity called space.

History coming up. Dad was fascinated by so many things from the political to the historical. You will find books on Vietnam and Watergate. What was San Francisco like during the turn of the 20th century? Right here is a fascinating book on the Tongs in Chinatown.

Need a good laugh? On this shelf we have Erma Bombeck and her wry observations on everyday life. Snoopy will tell you his story of a "dark and stormy night." Seriously demented bird watchers need to see these "guides" to very unusual birds.

All right "who done it?" The world of mysteries is right here and we go from ancient China and Judge Dee to cozy England with Agatha Christie to the Navaho reservations with Tony Hillerman. I love mysteries and must admit I'm not real good at figuring them out but I read for the pleasure of them not to try and out guess the sleuth.

Your portal to Middle Earth is right here. The worlds of fantasy and science fiction are among my favorite places to be. Mars as seen by Arthur C. Clarke is here. Darkover's red sun is here with the worlds of magic and science clashing as created by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Want multiple worlds then here try Roger Zelazny's Amber series.

Bond, James Bond is over here along with Clive Cussler, John LeCare and other thriller writers. They have the license to thrill.

Books! Wow! The picture is called Guardian of Knowledge.

The real counter 4498

No comments: